Wednesday, 11 February 2015

On my desk today - Tiny woodland world materials (WOYWW)

Recently a lot of my time has been spent planning for the project I have just started, a residency in an Infant School for the company Artspace. I explain more about the project here, but my idea is that the children will work in small groups to make rooms for tiny imaginary woodland people to live in, and we'll then stack these one on top of the other and paper mache around them to create a doll's house that looks like a tree trunk.

I've been inspired by Steiner Waldorf crafts, as well as the natural materials found in the woodland, and have been collecting things from all sorts of places. Today I laid some of the materials out on my desk to try to imagine how the different colours and textures might work together. I absolutely love every single material, from the smooth surface of the stones and how they contrast with the softness of the felting wool, to the rough rings of the branch slices and the fragility of the leaf skeletons.




I've also been getting out my collection of dolls house furniture, and couldn't resist a little play, putting the crockery out on the wood slice like a tiny table and placing the stones around it to make miniature seats. I can't wait to get making on Friday, and am so inspired I'm even contemplating making a tree trunk dolls house of my own....

I'm contributing this post to What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday (WOYWW), a brilliant opportunity for creative people to have a peak at each others work spaces. To learn more follow the link above or take a look at Stamping Ground.

10 comments:

  1. Hello Ellie Chaney, you've got a lovely blog page today. I think I will have to show it my niece who is a head teacher in a primary/junior school.
    Im glad I popped by.
    Lynn - 15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lynn. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and you kind comment. Lovely to meet you! Ellie

      Delete
  2. What a lovely idea Ellie! You'll have to show us the tree trunk house when it's ready! Thanks for visiting my blog earlier! Happy WOYWW! zsuzsa @ InkyDinkyDoodle #27

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great to discover your blog Zsuzsa, thank you for coming over to mine! We get started tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to it. Ellie

      Delete
  3. Ellie I love those cute pottery pieces, takes me back to my childhood. Hope to see the finished project as it sounds fascinating
    Jan S. No 54

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for popping by! I know, they are so sweet, I used to spend hours playing with the little plates and bowl. I'd love to try making some one day :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Ellie, this is fabulous! I've sent the link to your blog to my DIL- she adores anything miniature/fairies that she can make. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #13 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaz! Thank you so much for taking the time to look at and share my blog. Ellie :)

      Delete
  5. Ellie, what a fantastic project! You must have tons of fun with it! I would...
    Your photos are gorgeous!
    Hugs
    Gabriele 17

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. I'm happy to say I love my job, its so much fun making new things and exploring new ideas! Thank you for coming along and taking a look! Ellie

      Delete