Having created the Mildred doll for the big project I'm working on at the moment, I enjoyed making her so much I've been working on a few more woodland dolls. I'm also planning to make one of myself, hub and bub eventually. A little doll family of our little family!
I've made all sorts of dolls and puppet bodies but I really like these bendy dolls as they're so simple. You can skip the complicated pattern making stage, and go straight to the fun parts of adding the faces and sewing the clothes. This means I can do little bits every evening after our real little person is asleep, making a jacket or some shoes while we watch a film. The bendy wooden doll bodies were given to me as a present, but I know you can buy them from the Myriad Natural Toys website in the UK.
I wrap the arms and legs in embroidery thread, and then make all the clothing out of felt. I've been getting a bit more ambitious, introducing embroidery stitches on to the felt, like the little spiral on the waistcoat.
My Grandma was really talented at embroidery and patchwork, and lots of my sewing materials were hers, like the needle book which she made. I love making things using her sewing box or some thread she bought as I know we would have lots of interesting conversations about it all if she were still here. It feels like I'm keeping her creative energy going somehow.
Sewing these tiny outfits and creating little characters has made me really want to get puppet carving and sculpting again, something I haven't had the time to do in the last year since I became a mum. But for now I'm happy making my troop of dolls bit by bit in the evenings, and imagining a time in the future when my daughter might want to make one too!
I'm contributing this post to What's On Your Workdesk Wednesday (WOYWW),
a brilliant opportunity for creative people to have a peak at each
others work spaces. To learn more follow the link above or take a look
at Stamping Ground.
Wow, love these! Really interesting post too- love seeing your Grandmas sewing case. The great thing is that back then, it would have been normal to make such a thing, not buy it. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #18 xx
ReplyDeleteThank you! I love going through all the little boxes and and cases she sewed, I feel really lucky to have them and it makes me remember how much people used to make for themselves :) I hope you have a great week too!
DeleteHow fun...little dolls. You photos bring me memories of childhood when I made all sorts of clothes for my barbie dolls. I had so much fun doing that! Last week I made some paper dolls..kinda of gave me the same nostalgic feeling :) A post about them is on my blog somewhere if you want to peek. Shel-PaperOcotilloStudio @51
ReplyDeleteHello. I think that's one of the wonderful things about running workshops with kids - it lets me do all the creative things I used to do again! I took a look at your paper dolls - they're great and I'd love to make some of my own now. I did a tutorial on making jumping jack puppets a while back, it was a fun reminder of being little for me :) http://elliechaney.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/make-jumping-jack-puppet.html
DeleteSuch wonderful woodland dolls! And I love that you are using your GM's needle book, it means she's right there with you! Thanks for sharing! Lindart #59
ReplyDeleteThank you! Its lovely to think of her every time I do some sewing :)
DeleteLove your little dolls! Embroidering on felt is so much fun - and how special their little outfits will be with that detail. Happy WOYWW! Sandy Leigh #48
ReplyDeleteHello! Thank you for popping by. I didn't realise how much easier it is embroidering on to felt, I wish I had worked that out earlier. Happy WOYWW to you too!
DeleteHello Ellie. I've only just found your site - and have spent simply AGES looking all around. You live in a beautiful inspiring place to make art. I love these little dolls - they are great. Well done.
ReplyDeleteTake care. God bless.
Margaret #11
Hello Margaret. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog, I'll make sure to do the same! I'm so glad you enjoyed having a look round :) We are so lucky to live in such a special place. It can be easy to forget sometimes when it rains all the time, but it just makes the sunny days that much more special. Ellie
DeleteWow, you must have patience in bucket loads!! Making tiny things like that requires a level of dedication that I simply don't possess, much as I adore sewing and fabric. The dolls are fab, they already have such personality, small though they are. And the spiral embroidery is fab...I adore spiral patterns :-)
ReplyDeleteHugs, LLJ 26 xx
Its funny, I've always loved making tiny things, but making big things really scares me! I think we all have our comfortable scale :) Thank you for visiting!
DeleteThese guys are incredibly cute! I love your idea of making a family. Have fun with them! Happy belated WOYWW! zsuzsa @ InkydinkyDoodle #15
ReplyDeleteHello Zsuzsa. Thank you so much. Your artworks were very lovely to see, I think I just got distracted before I could leave a comment saying so. I hope you have a productive week of creativity too!
DeleteHi Ellie, oh wow. I have just loved this little snoop around your desk. I feel the same way about my Mums old button box, I remember running my hands through the buttons as if they were sand when I was little and now I watch my girls do the same. It gives me a shiver sometimes thinking of the interlinking history lines... if that makes sense. Especially my youngest daughter who never got to meet my Mum but has so many of her traits.
ReplyDeleteI was nosy and went and read your 'About Me' - I'm doing it backwards - had my first bub at just turned 20 and now at 38 am going back to school to do an Art & Design Access course in September before, hopefully a Fine Art degree next year. Ooer.
Thanks for stopping by mine already - sorry it took so long to return the visit. Internet is finally playing nicely today!
Carmen x #46
Hello! I think I win the prize for slowest reply!
DeleteI know exactly what you mean, going through my Grandma's sewing box often makes me feel this really string connection not only to her but to the women that taught her craft as well. Its so powerful to feel part of something like that, and to know that sharing creativity with my daughter will keep then feeling alive.
I did a Foundation course and I've heard its similar to an Access course. I loved it, it was probably one on the most creative years of my life. I often wish I had gone to university when I was older, I was WAY too young to appreciate it properly at 19! Good luck!
And thank you for taking the time to look at my stuff too, I hope the internet has been playing nicely this week :) Ellie
Ha, I meant 'strong' but 'string' also kind of works too!
Delete